Have your teeth checked before Chinese New Year?
For the millions of people the Chinese New Year is around the corner who celebrate it worldwide, the must-do list includes buying new clothes, spring cleaning, decorating the home and etc.
Eating seems to be the theme when family and friends get together during the festive season. Our mouth might be the most active during this period, as it does the eating and talking more than usual. Thus, there is a need to give extra attention to our teeth and mouth. The last thing you should be worried about during this season is a dental problem.
In addition to making sure that your home is in tip-top condition to start the New Lunar Year, this is also a good time to ensure that your gums and teeth are also looking their best. Here some tips to keep possible dental problems;
- Avoid chewing too many hard nuts, hard candy or ice cube as they tend to weaken your tooth enamel, making the enamel cracking.
- Less sugary goodies like cookies, cakes and chocolates as eating sugary food is that the bad bacteria in our mouth feeds on the sugars, creating acids that attack our tooth enamel. Over time this causes decay and holes in our teeth.
- Choose drinks with less sugar or acidic content. Make sure that your drink is not too hot or not too cold, so that it will not hurt your teeth. Drinking these types of drinks through a straw allows your teeth to have lesser contact with the beverage.
- Always bring your toothbrush with you! It allows you to brush after a snack or a big meal, to make sure the sticky food does not stick to your teeth.
- Visit your dentist and complete the necessary dental work done before the festivities start. It might be the last thing on your current to-do-list, but reconsider if you do not want to get an unpleasant surprise in the middle of your celebrations.
When it comes to your teeth, prevention is always better than cure. Schedule a visit to your dentist for a check-up or if you have not been to the dentist for quite a while, make an appointment for a consultation to address any outstanding issues to take care of any dental issues before the festivities to prevent unwanted and unpleasant surprises during Chinese New Year.
These are some of the steps you can take to have a stronger and healthier tooth. After all, we all want to make sure we are problem free and we can enjoy our life and food for many years. In Smileway Dental Clinic USJ and Smileway Dental Clinic Setapak we take care of your smile because we believe in “Creating Smiles That Matters” in your life. Take care everyone.