A body piercing is a piercing or puncture made in your body by a needle to express self-expressions and body art.
After that, a piece of jewelry is inserted into the punctured parts of the body like tongue, nostrils, belly button, ears etc. It is now a “trend” and others considered it as “cool”. These forms of art maybe a “cool trend” to some but it can also be a health hazard and may affect one’s oral health.
Why mouth piercings may be dangerous to one’s health?
Our mouth contains millions of bacteria. It is a moist environment which is a home for breeding bacteria thus infection and swelling may occur. Your mouth and tongue could swell a lot that result to close off the airway. It can also damage the tooth if you keep on clicking off the jewelry against the teeth.
What are the effects of piercing that may affect your oral health?
4. Injuries on gum tissues
5. Increased flow of saliva
6. Chipped or cracked tooth
7. Blood clot to some people
8. Blood poisoning(to some people)
If in case you already have a piercings:
1. If you see any signs of infections or swelling like pain, fever, chill you must contact or visit the dentist.
2. Keep the piercing site clean and free any bacteria by using a mouthwash.
3. Avoid clicking the jewelry against your teeth to lessen the stress on teeth.
4. Be gentle and aware of the jewelry’s movement when talking and chewing.
Life is a choice. Whatever we do in life we must face the consequences. You want cool trend then you must also need to consider your oral health as it affect the general health of our body.